Yummy Crock Pot Coconut Cashew Curry Chicken – A Taste of Asia
I really love eating Thai Style Dishes; it always makes me dream of those beautiful Phuket Beaches on the Andaman Sea.
Mixing Coconut milk and yellow curry makes an exquisite sauce base that you will enhance with a few other spices. (you can add chili if you like it hot, or bell peppers)
—-> Hold on: My husband is saying… “Suitcase is ready!” ✈️?️
OK, back to the recipe:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 small potatoes (I used red), peeled and chopped
- ½ white or yellow onion, chopped
- For the sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or one 14-ounce can + ½ cup chicken broth)
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder (see note)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- optional: corn starch slurry.
- Cashews, cilantro, and cooked rice for serving
- In the slow cooker, combine the chicken, red peppers, potatoes, and onions.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and stir to coat the chicken and vegetables. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours, covered.
- Stir in coconut milk about 10-15 minutes before serving. Just before serving, stir in the cashews and freshly chopped cilantro.
- If you have red curry paste on hand, try substituting 1 tablespoon curry powder for 1 tablespoon red paste. For an extra flavor boost, add up to 1 tablespoon garlic powder.
Tip: If you prefer a thicker curry (as I do), combine 3 tablespoons of cold water and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Cook on high until ready to serve, about 30–45 minutes, before stirring into crockpot.
Serve it together with other Asian dishes, or as a standalone.
Don’t forget to like and share if you enjoyed it 🙂
More Asian Style recipes: