A Healthy Slow Cooked Italian Chicken Sausage Soup
This Slow Cooked Italian chicken sausage soup is a twist on the traditional chicken soup. It adds super healthy veggies, like zucchini and spinach, and uses Italian chicken sausage instead of regular chicken to jack up the flavor profile. The best part: prep takes only minutes and your slow cooker will do the rest!
You can either make it in the slow cooker or a dutch oven…
With all the vitamins and minerals in the veggies and all the protein in the chicken, whether you’re healthy or feeling a bit under the weather, this is, in fact, the ultimate get well soup. It has everything you need to keep your energy up and your immune system running its best, so eat up!
- 1 pound Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 5 large carrots, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half and sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or 4 cups hot water and 4 homemade instant bouillon cubes
- salt, black pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage and brown it.
- Add the celery, carrots, tomato and zucchini and mix.
- Add the soup and dried oregano, mix and cover with a lid.
- If you are using a slow cooker, after cooking the onions and browning the sausage, transfer the mixture in a slow cooker, add all ingredients except spinach and cover with a lid.
- Cook 2 ½ hours on LOW.
- Remove the lid, add the spinach and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, add chopped parsley, mix and serve.
via Paleo Grubs Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Soup