An Authentic New Orleans Gumbo for Your Slow Cooker
Our New Orleans Bayou Slow Cooker Cajun Gumbo is filled with savory chunks of chicken, sausage, shrimp, and fresh herbs, served over a lovely rice. Having been refined carefully over centuries, gumbo is an insanely popular dish loved by just about everyone.
The flavors have been passed down from generation to generation, with everyone savoring each delicate bite. Making this one-pot wonder is not only convenient and time saving, but it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Scrumptious and comforting, this broth-soaked deliciousness could be the perfect way to celebrate Mardi Gras
This recipe is loaded with meat, vegetables, and seafood and is made possible by your Hamilton Beach® slow cooker and rice cooker.
You’ll need to start by making a roux. The roux will thicken the gumbo and add a rich flavor (and color) to it. To prepare the roux, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the flour. Cook the roux, whisking frequently, until it turns a chocolate brown color. This should take no more than 15 minutes.
Once the roux is done, add the celery, peppers, and onions to the skillet and cook for a few minutes. Cook for another 2 minutes after adding the garlic, then transfer to the slow cooker.
In the slow cooker crock, combine the chicken broth, tomatoes, creole spice, chicken, sausage, okra, and thyme. Cook on HIGH for 3 ½ to 4 hours or LOW for 6 ½ to 7 hours. Stir in the shrimp at the end of the cooking cycle and cook until they are just cooked through (about 20 minutes).
While the gumbo is cooking, make white rice in your Hamilton Beach® rice cooker.
For a nice presentation, serve the gumbo over rice or with an ice cream scoop and a “dollop” of rice on top, along with some fresh herbs.
The flavors in this gumbo will whisk you away to Bourbon Street for the evening. The andouille sausage gives a cajun spice, while the okra and fresh shrimp are classic New Orleans ingredients. All it takes is a dash of Louisiana hot sauce and a piece of crispy French bread to complete this stew. Carnival, we’re coming!
Crockpot Cajun Gumbo Ingredients List and How To:
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Cooked rice
- 1 ½ pounds raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- To make a roux, heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and add the flour. Cook the roux, whisking frequently, until it turns a chocolate brown color. Reduce the heat as needed to avoid burning. This will take approximately 15 minutes.
- Combine celery, green pepper, and onion in a mixing bowl. Cook for 1–2 minutes. Cook for another 2 minutes after adding the garlic. Place the mixture in the slow cooker crock.
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken broth, tomatoes, Creole spice, chicken, sausage, okra, and thyme.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 ½ to 4 hours or LOW for 6 ½ to 7 hours. Stir in the shrimp. Cook for a few minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Serve with rice.
For this recipe, we used a Hamilton Beach Portable 6-Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker with Lid Lock
and a Hamilton Beach Digital Programmable Rice Cooker & Food Steamer, with Steam & Rinse Basket
Don’t forget to share if you liked our recipes.
via Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker Cajun Gumbo
Similar recipes in videos: