Crock Pot Broccoli & Cheese Soup – The Perfect Combination
I don’t know how about you, but in our family everyone is found of cheese… Yep, our kids often ask if they can add some cheese in dishes. I don’t always agree, but for soups cheese is often a very good ingredient that not only brings a lot of taste but also some salt… So if adding cheese, make sure you don’t use much salt when preparing the soup.
So today, it will be a broccoli soup! If you like it with cream cheese see this RECIPE too…
Let’s start with the ingredients list:
- ⅓ cup butter, sliced
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups small diced broccoli florets (From about 20 oz broccoli crowns, large stems cut off and discarded (or reserved for another use), florets diced into small pieces.)
- ⅛ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (or more to taste)
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly & finely shredded
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour and season lightly with salt and pepper then cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- While whisking, slowly pour in evaporated milk (whisk well to smooth).
- Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken then pour into a slow cooker along with chicken broth, diced broccoli and thyme.
- Cover with lid and cook on HIGH heat for 2½ - 3 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
- Turn heat to warm (or off) and stir in heavy cream, then add in shredded cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
Recipe via Cooking Classy Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Related videos with broccoli soups: