How To Make a Delicious Classic Italian Soup in the Slow Cooker.
Pasta e Fagioli is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. It is a simple, hearty, Italian soup-type dish made with pasta, beans, meat and veggies.
When made in the slow cooker simmering for a few hours, I find it as good as the one at the Olive Garden…
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste (I added 1 tsp salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, uncooked
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and add in ground beef.
- Cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Place the beef in a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except for the beans and pasta.
- Add spices to your taste and cover.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving insert beans and pasta, stir and cover again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Discard bay leaves before serving.
- Serve immediately while hot.
Via The Recipe Critic Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup